Thursday, December 2, 2010

"Popular Mechanics"

I thought this story was kind of ironic. The person that the couple loves most is being fought over (kind of violently). I feel that in the end the man and the woman are no longer fighting over the child. They are fighting each other. Each one wants what the other can't have, which ends up hurting the one they love most. The couple in this story is immature because they fail to resolve their issues with poise; in fact, they are quite the opposite. The man and woman let their anger and feelings get the best of them. In this way, I also believe the story to be satirical. A couple rips their baby apart because they both want to take him/her with them. The story reminds me a little of A Modest Proposal. They aren't quite eating babies; however, they are ripping one apart.

1 comment:

  1. I connected the satirical tone to "A Modest Proposal" as well...but maybe that was more about the violence-to-babies imagery!

    ReplyDelete