Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Chapter VII~Confusion?

Throughout this chapter, Brett and her relationships with almost everybody continue to cause some confusion with me. She says she feels rotten, which I'm guessing was just an excuse to leave Jacob. Brett also says that she'll never see Jacob again. What did he do wrong? Brett seems to be making fairly rash decisions when it comes to relationships. I feel that her character along with her friends' characters are kind of lost themselves. They are all searching for something, but can't quite find it. I'm guessing that Brett will eventually see Jacob again.

2 comments:

  1. Brett and her constant need for men really confused me at first too. I thought she was already married. However, we find out she's waiting to marry another man because she's divorcing her husband, yet she's having affairs with other men as well. It was then that everything began to click in my head. With this revealed information, we all get a sense of Brett's true colors in regards to relationships. It really made me think what a horrible representation of women Brett portrays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. much of the confusion early on comes from us just jumping into the characters' lives without much exposition (except for Cohn). Plus, with Hemingway, you have to read between the lines quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete